- August and September 2019- we did a full inspection and maintenance of the Six Dales Trail
- July 2019 – Japanese visitors from Hokkaido, Japan – eight guests visited WaW Otley to learn about our WaW activities
- June 2019 –Otley Walking Festival – we led walks on the Six Dales Trail and Welcome Way
- May 2019- Friends of Six Dales Trail – We developed and published in 2010 the 38-mile long distance trail Otley to Middleham. This has become a diamond route on the OS map because of its popularity. We need volunteers to help us carry out our responsibility to maintain the route. Please contact us if this would be of interest to you. Click on SDT on our website for details.
- WANTED – WAW Otley Steering Group Members to sustain the work we do to develop, publish and maintain our walking routes, we need new members to join our steering group. We meet four times a year and have a range of interesting duties that we carry out. If you are a walking enthusiast, please get in touch if this would be of interest to you. Click on Contact Us.
- April 2019 – Chevin Historical Walk leaflet published by Friends of the Chevin and Walkers are Welcome Otley. It leads walkers past historical highlights such as the foundations of Jenny’s Cottage, Yorkgate Quarry, the Great Dib Way, Vacca Wall, the steps, White House and Jonathan’s Orchard. It provides a map, route description and historical information and the walk starts from Surprise View or from Otley to the White House. The leaflet is free and available at Otley outlets such as the Library, the CORE, Just Books and Mounsey’s. Further information from websites www.chevinforest.co.uk and www.waw-otley.org.uk
02/03/19 – 200 hundred participants joined Punk Panters to run the full length of our Welcome Way from Otley
- 2019 -NEW summer DALESBUS SERVICE TO WASHBURNDALE AND NIDDERDALE The new timetable service direct from Keighley, Bingley, Saltaire, Shipley and Otley (with connections from Bradford) provides a direct link for people living in Airedale and Lower Wharfedale to the fabulous walking country of the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.The new Nidderdale Rambler 821 serves no less than three popular Yorkshire walking trails – the Nidderdale Way, the Six Dales Trail and the Dales Way Harrogate Link.” Full details in Metro Dalesbus timetable booklet and local publicity leaflets, or visit www.dalesbus.org.
- 25/02/19 – Renewal and clearing of Welcome Way paths from Otley to Ben Rhydding.
Dec.2018 – Walks led by WaW Otley steering group members for Behind Closed Doors fundraiser, December 2018
- Dec. 2018 – New up-dated replacement ‘Interpretation Boards’ installed at Wharfemeadows Park and Surprise View
- Nov 2018– Otley’s 10th anniversary ‘Walkers Fair” – was held at the Courthouse in Otley to celebrate our achievements since becoming an accredited Walkers are Welcome Town. Walkers told walkers about routes and areas they know: English, Scottish and Welsh trails, the Italian Dolomites, Lapland, France and Germany, etc.. A wide range of local walking groups and organisations were represented, and a programme of talks.
- Aug 2018 – Path Clearance and adding roundels along the Six Dales trail from Otley to Pateley Bridge; we returned at 5:05pm on the new Nidderdale Rambler from Pateley to Otley – a really excellent journey along the Nidderdale AONB.
- July 2018 – We cleared the path from Bird Cage Walk to Johnny Lane – our published route from Otley town centre to the Chevin
- May 2018 – We had a stall at the 10th year running at the Otley Show where 25,000 plus people attended
- June 2018 – We led walks during the Otley Walking Festival for both our Welcome Way and the Six Dales Trail
- May 2018 – 34 members from the Long Distant Walkers Association walked the entire length of the 28-mile Welcome Way.