Who we are
Walkers are Welcome (WaW) towns and villages across England, Scotland and Wales are places that have something special to offer walkers. Regardless of your age or ability WaW towns and villages provide a variety of outstanding walking opportunities.
Otley was awarded accreditation in 2008 from the National WaW organisation, a non-profit making ‘Community Interest Company’.
- Be an attractive destination for walkers, providing top quality information on local walks
- Offer local people and visitors excellent walking opportunities within our area
- Ensure the footpaths and facilities for walkers are maintained, improved and well signposted
- Raise the profile of Otley as an attractive tourist destination for walking
- Promote the health benefits associated with walking and increase participation of all age groups
- Encourage the use of public transport
- Support our local economy
Otley, in the Wharfedale Valley, is a thriving historic market town with a population of fourteen thousand plus. It has a beautiful setting beside the River Wharfe, below the wooded escarpment known as the Chevin.
Otley is surrounded by spectacular landscape with an attractive riverside and a plentitude of paths and rights of way leading out of Otley into the surrounding countryside. Otley is also a flourishing shopping location with many shops, cafes and pubs as well as national retail outlets. As you wander through the charming streets don’t be surprised if you recognise scenes from Emmerdale, Heartbeat and The Chase.
Read more about our town, including its historical highlights and websites that provide additional information.